Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created & hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is:
Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
Yay! (As always, these are in no particular order, because to order them would make my heart hurt.)
- Ringworld by Larry Niven – Before my husband was my boyfriend, he wooed me with books. This was one of the first he gave me…and then he sent me the next few in the series, and the prequel.
- Lord of the Rings (series) by J.R.R. Tolkein – I’ve only read the first book, but I loved it. I know I’m going to be shunned for all of forever for this, but I’ve seen the movies for The Two Towers and The Return of the King, so I just haven’t felt it necessary to read the books. I know, I know, I fail at life! Denounce me as a book blogger, for I have brought shame upon myself… and now moving on!
- His Dark Materials (series) by Philip Pullman – Mr. LitObsession wanted this, read it, then made me read it. I kind of love him for it.
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card – Yet another book sent to me by Mr. LitObsession in an attempt to ensnare my heart by plying me with fantastic literature. Geez, he’s good.
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman – Ditto on this one with the gifting… (Geez, Mr. LitObsession, stalker much?) 😉
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes – I read this as a young-thing and loved it. I’ve read it more times than I can count since then – but I don’t own a copy. What the heck is up with that?
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C O’Brien – I read this book on repeat when I was little. So fun!
- The Last Vampire (series) by Christopher Pike – I have only mentioned this a half billion times all over the blog on so many different occasions that it’s probably becoming annoying. But really, I do love these books that much.
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – I love this book on so many levels. It’s fantastic. Bree at 1 Girl 2 Many Books made me read it. Then I made Mr. LitObsession read it. Then I made three more of my friends read it. It’s just that fab. (Read it!)
- The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness – I really enjoyed this one just because it was fun and light but with enough bite to keep the flow going.
For the fun of it, here’s Mr. LitObsession’s Top Ten Fave Science Fiction & Fantasy novels (again, in no particular order):
- Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
- The First Law (series) by Joe Abercrombie
- The Hyperion Cantos (series) by Dan Simmons
- Ringworld (series) by Larry Niven
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
- The Dark Elf Trilogy (series) by R.A. Salvatore
- Dune by Frank Herbert
- The Lord of the Rings (series) by J. R. R. Tolkein
- His Dark Materials (series) by Phillip Pullman
Fun Fact: Mr. LitObsession’s list was actually 24 (yes…twenty-FOUR) books long at first. I had to threaten him with cold dinners for a month if he didn’t cut some.
I suppose I’d better go cook something now. Maybe.
Leave me a comment with a link to your Top Ten list…I’ll pop by and have a look! 🙂
I’m glad Ender’s Game made your list! I read it recently and LOVED it.
Wow, great list. American Gods, Flowers for Algernon, and The Knife of Never Letting Go (although I don’t agree with the light part) are favorites of mine and Ready Player One is near the top of my TBR.
Want to visit my list? http://epiphanyrenee.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-10-classic-books.html
Neil Gaiman is an awesome scifi writer! Great picks!
My Top Ten: http://readerbenji.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-ten-tuesday-11.html
Neverwhere! I love that book. Probably my favorite Gaiman book I’ve read so far. I haven’t read American Gods but I seriously need too! I need to read The Knife of Never Letting Go.
Great top ten!
Here’s my top ten!
Hi there 🙂 just popping in…
I haven’t read many Science Fiction & Fantasy books. I’ve heard great things about Neverwhere though. maybe I should expand my TBR pile.
Here is my choice…
Top Ten Tuesday
Great choice of top ten. I love sci fi and fantasy. I loved Mrs Frisby when I was younger too. Always meant to read it again. I also loved the Last Vampire series by Christopher Pike. I think I devoured most of his books as a young teen.
I plan to read Ender’s Game really soon. I hope I love it as much as everyone else! Great list.
My Top Ten Tuesday
From both lists I’ve only read Neverwhere which I loved – I want to get to The Knife of Never Letting Go soon too.
Argh, amazing list! (Mine this week was sci-fi books, and I’m kicking myself for forgetting so many of the ones on your list!!) Ender’s Game in particular is excellent. Have you read any of the sequels? I enjoyed them, but the first is definitely my favorite. 🙂 And I reallllllly want to read The Knife of Never Letting Go and Ready Player One. Thanks for sharing your list!
I love your choices! I haven’t read the last three on your list, but they are on my TBR list. 🙂 I especially love American Gods!
My top nine epic fantasy series
I was going to to Scifi/Fantasy for my list too! Also Lord of the Rings is a great choice!! Here is my
I used to be obsessed with sci-fi/fantasy and then got away from it. This list is inspiring me to start up again. I love Lord of the Rings and anything by Neil Gaiman. I’ve never read Ender’s Game, but I plan to do so soon. Yeah for wooing with books!
Jennifer @ Feminist Fairytale Reviews
Yes, Ender’s Game. Yes, Algernon. I have several others I’d put on my list of fav sci fi/fantasy.
Top Ten Books That Take Place in Paris. I’d love to have you stop by!
Very nice list! If you like to see mine, just visit my blog ^^
Awesome list!! I think I have all of them on my tbr list 🙂
Here’s My Top Ten Tuesday Picks
–Kimberly @ Turning The Pages
I loved Pullman’s Dark Materials series. I need to read Ender’s Game and American Gods. Thanks for reminding me.
You should definitely read The Lord of Rings as a whole! The films are great but the book is just ten times better 🙂 I totally forgot about His Dark Materials on my list, but I haven’t read them in a while (I should!)
I also did top ten fantasy books 🙂 New follower also!
I’ve read “Flowers for Algernon” for a school assignment and I enjoyed it too. 😀 Nice list, btw.
New follower also.
That’s so cool that your husband wooed you with books! I haven’t read most of these but most are on my TBR list! Great lists!
I LOVE Ender’s game. It’s been a favorite of mine for a while now, so I’m glad it made your list.
Did you hear they’re making a film adaption of it?
My Top Ten YA Contemporary
– Tabitha @ Tabitha’s Book Blog